1960 Spider Veloce
This 1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Veloce Spider was driven into storage in 1968 with a leaky head gasket. In 2012 it was sold by the grandson of the owner to Riccardo Conti in LA. He sent the car to ALFA ITALIA in Burbank to remove and rebuild the engine and transmission. Conti ran into financial problems and sold the car to me in February 2020 with the engine out of the car but it was otherwise complete and original. The original odometer showed just over 39,000 miles and there were oil change stickers still on the car in various places that document that milage, also a few other documents from the sixties that help confirm it.
We cleaned the original vinyl seats and they looked nice without any damage but when we started to get in and out of the car we realized the foam padding had completely dried out and was making a mess under the seat bottoms. We had the trim shop try to install new foam but the vinyl was too stiff to work with so we re-did the seats in matching leather. We also installed new canvas top material. All the rest of the car is original and in very good condition.
VIEW ALL RESTORATION DETAILS HERE
- Pick up car and parts in LA.
- Buff out front half of the car.
- Clean up and install bumpers, grill, hood hinges, mirrors and emblems.
- Clean up and restore all original interior bits.
- Clean and Ospho floors.
- Clean and polish engine bay.
- Install floor matting and interior.
- Polish dash.
- Repair and wrinkle paint dash cap.
- Install dash gauges and stainless trim.
- Install door latches and jam trim. Install wiring harness and begin to wire up.
- Restore radio and clean gauge glass and faces.
- Remove pass side door panel and grease regulator, fix panel and replace broken door handle.
- Repair heater switch.
- Hook up fuse box and all wiring under the dash and in the engine bay.
- Install all the gauges and dash switch gear.
- Refinish exhaust headers.
- Install engine, clutch and transmission.
- Lube and install driveshaft.
- Install pedal assembly.
- Rebuild master cylinder and all wheel cylinders.
- Replace front shoes resurface drums.
- Replace brake hoses and bleed system.
- Install radiator and hoses.
- Rebuild distributor and install.
- Lube and bench test starter and install.
- Install brake fluid bottle, and generator.
- Install heater and wiper motor.
- Hood release system.
- Remove gas tank to clean.
- Bench test fuel pump and install.
- Clean air box and brackets and install new filter.
- Clean out fuel tank and install.
- Install fuel pump with new silent blocks.
- Install headlights, tail lights and turn signals and sort wiring.
- Clean and re-glue under hood blanket and install hood. Repair trunk latch and install trunk.
- Add oil, coolant, and fuel then test drive and tune: set timing and mixture.
- Install shift hump, boot, and carpet.
- Add tracks to seats and install.
- Fabricate and install battery tray.
- Drive a few times and retune.
- Clean out and Por-15 line the tank
- R&R starter and overhaul.
- Clean out the carbs and fuel lines.
- Clean sediment bowl and replace filter.
- Clean out fuel pump filter.
- Replace differential pinion seal and change rear end fluid.
- Tune carbs, test drive and fettle.
- Replace faulty water temp gauge.
- Repair and install fuel level sender.
- Repair radio.
- Repair wiper switch.
- Extract broken studs from bumpers for chrome, disassemble various parts of the car for Steve and pull seats to re-foam. Dismantle seats and replace the foam.
- Install new tires.
VIEW CAR HISTORY HERE
Manufactured August 25,1960 and delivered to Alfa Romeo, Newark NJ, USA.
Sold new in 1962 to Lewis Lucky, Atlanta, GA
Sold January 6,1966 to Frank Woityra, Smyrna GA
Sold by Frank’s grandson, Michael Woityra, February 2012 to Riccardo Conti, Los Angeles, CA
Sold February 2020 to Patrick Smiekel.
Interested in this car?
CONTACT FOR INFORMATION
Join Our Mailing List!
Subscribe for updates on our inventory and follow our restorations in progress!